I love recipes that say “soak for one hour, then simmer for 2 hours” or “marinate for 24 hours then barbeque for 15 minutes.”
All I need is a high decibel timer to jolt me out of my reverie.
I think that’s why I love cooking rice. It’s one of those foods you can cook while watching your favourite show. One of those foods that never goes wrong for me.
If I am cooking pasta, I have to worry about “al-dente’, the perfect cooking point and many other things like: having a rolling boil and even imagining I’m Goldilocks, (not too hot, not too cold, but just right). Some cooking sites even advice you to stir the pasta in a figure eight motion and then ‘shock’ it in iced water for 3-5 minutes. Others say the cooking water should taste like the ocean, so add salt liberally.
Serve with vegetable stew or accompaniment of your choice
Today I’ll share a simple and elegant rice recipe. Not too many controversial instructions but a very tasty outcome!
Please, always remember to assemble all ingredients, before you start.
Soak rice for 30 minutes
Drain thoroughly and set aside
Fry fennel seeds until brown (do not burn them)
Add the rice and salt and stir fry for 5 minutes
Add the water, and bring to the boil
Cover the pan and simmer for 12 minutes, then put aside for a further 10 minutes. Do not lift the lid.
And fluff the rice
Rice with Fennel Seeds
Preparation time: 5 minutes plus time needed to soak, Cooking time: 25-30 minutes; Serves: 4
- 300 g (1½ cups) basmati rice
- 3 tablespoons ghee or cooking oil
- I teaspoon fennel seeds
- Salt to taste
- 500ml (2 cups) water
- Soak the rice in cold water for 30 minutes. Drain thoroughly, set aside.
- Heat the oil or ghee in a pan. Fry fennel seeds over medium heat until browned.
- Add rice and salt, stir and fry for 5 minutes. Lower heat in the last 2 minutes.
- Add water and bring to the boil. Cover the pan and simmer for 12 minutes. Please do not lift the lid during the twelve minutes.
- Remove from heat and leave undisturbed for a further 10 minutes. Lift the lid, fluff the rice and serve.
Points to note:
- The water will drastically reduce in the first six minutes. Just lower the heat and make sure it doesn’t burn at the bottom- do not lift the lid.
- If you prefer less oil, reduce it. I used 2½ tablespoons.
- You can also use other aromatic seeds like ajowan, caraway or cumin.
- For long grain rice, simmer for 15-18 minutes. Then set aside for another 10 minutes. For long grain rice and 2 scant cups water for every cup of rice.
- For every cup of Basmati rice, use 1½ cups water.
- Last updated on February 13. 2018