These are my go to mini pizza pockets. They are not as big as the store-bought ones but they make me eat less starch. I fill them with several things for example this bean salad here, or this scrambled egg salad here. If you want bigger ones, divide the dough into 4 or 6 pieces.
Easy Pita Bread
- 400g (3¼ cups) all purpose flour
- 1¼ teaspoon instant yeast (or 1 envelope active dry yeast)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½-1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Sift the flour, yeast, sugar and salt into a bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the water and olive oil. Stir together to form a dough and then transfer onto the countertop and knead 5-8 minutes. Form the dough into a ball and place in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with cling film and leave in a warm place about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal parts and shape into balls. Cover the balls kitchen towel and set aside for 10 minutes. They will rise slightly. Now lightly roll each into a 5½-inch (14cm) circle and place on the prepared baking sheet or tray and bake 5 minutes or until puffed up and very lightly golden. Once cooled you can store in an airtight container for about 3 days.
- For cup measures: spoon the flour into the cup, heaping it up over the top, then slide a knife across the top to level off the extra. Be careful not to shake or tap the cup to settle down the flour or you will have more than you need. I use a 240ml American cup.