I never imagined I would enjoy eating a whole wheat cake the way I did, this one. It was so good, I have since been making it at least once a week. Prunes and dates are a good combination, please do not mess up the combo. Have a great week!
Wholemeal Date Orange and Prune Loaf
- 325g (2½ cups) wholemeal flour
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- 125g (4.5oz, 8tbsp, ½ cup + 1 tbsp) margarine (or unsalted butter), room temperature
- Zest of 1 medium orange
- 150g (¾ cup) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 180ml (¾ cup) freshly squeezed orange juice
- 125g (4.5oz) chopped prunes (to be folded in later)
- 125g (4.5oz) chopped dates (to be folded in later)
- 6 extra dates sliced into halves lengthwise to decorate the top
- Preheat the oven to 330ºF (165ºC) ten minutes before baking. Grease and line the base of a 9 x 5-inch (23 x 13cm) loaf pan. Sift or whisk the flour and baking powder. Make sure the butter or margarine is soft.
- Combine all ingredients (except prunes and dates) in the bowl of your stand mixer and mix on low speed until everything is combined. Beat on medium speed for 1-1½ minutes until the batter is smooth and pale in colour. Stir in the prunes and dates.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared pan and decorate the top with the extra dates. Bake 50-70 minutes or until golden on top and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Set aside for 5 minutes before transferring on a cooing rack.
- For cup measures: spoon the flour into the cup, heaping it up over the top, then slide a knife across the top to level off the extra. Be careful not to shake or tap the cup to settle down the flour or you will have more than you need. I use a 240ml American cup.
Points to Note
- Please note that oven temperatures are given as a guideline only. You may need to add or reduce the suggested temperature depending on your oven. I baked the cake at 330ºF (165ºC) for 75 minutes.
Step By Step Photos
Please assemble all ingredients before you start. Sift or whisk the flour and baking powder.
Combine all ingredients (except prunes and dates) in the bowl of your stand mixer and mix on low speed until everything is combined.
Beat on medium speed for 1-1½ minutes until mixture is smooth and pale in colour. Stir in the prunes and dates.
Transfer the batter into the prepared pan. I decorated the top with sliced dates.
and bake 50-70 minutes or until golden on top and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Set aside for 5 minutes before transferring on a cooing rack.
this looks amazing!!!!!
Thank you. And also for visiting my blog!!!
Can i make the wholewheat prune date cake without eggs
I have never made it without eggs. If you know of a good egg substitute then you can go ahead and use it. Thanks.
Have you tried this recipe with All Purpose flour, or with bread flour? I have 3 types of flour in my diminutive kitchen already, I’d rather not add another.
I have not but I am sure it will work well with all purpose flour as well. It will also be fine with bread flour because whole wheat flour is also high in protein like bread flour. Please give me a feedback. Have a great weekend!