Make sure the potatoes are cut paper thin, otherwise they’ll not cook in the 10-15 minutes required for the pizza to cook. Fresh rosemary is a better option but you can use dried too. I wish you a very pleasant week.
Leek Potato and Rosemary Pizza
Preparation time: 20 minutes; Baking time: 8-15 minutes; Makes: 14-16 inch pizza
Ingredients for the Leek Sauce
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large leek, cleaned, cut into two lengthwise and sliced thinly
- ½-1 teaspoon chilli flakes or freshly ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup white wine or water, if you prefer
Ingredients for the Pizza
- 1 medium russet potato, sliced paper thin using a mandolin
- 450g (1 pound) no -knead pizza dough or store-bought or your favourite
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- Leaves from 1-2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 550ºF (290ºC) with the pizza stone inside. If you’re using a pizza pan you’ll need to heat your oven to 450ºF or as per instruction on you pizza dough packet.
- To make the leek sauce: heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add the leek, pepper, and salt to taste and fry for a few minutes. Cover the saucepan, lower the heat and cook for 15 minutes, stirring from time to time until the leek is tender. Add the wine and bring back to the boil then lower the heat and simmer another 10 minutes or until the leek is completely mushed up and the wine has been absorbed. Check and adjust seasoning and set aside to cool.
- Partially boil potatoes: heat a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the sliced potatoes and boil rapidly for two minutes then drain and set aside to cool.
- Roll and assemble the pizza: roll or stretch the pizza dough and place on a lightly greased pizza pan or on a pizza peel sprinkled with corn flour or semolina, if using a pizza stone. Spread the leek sauce evenly over the pizza crust using the back of a spoon. Leave about ½-inch border. Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over the leek sauce. Arrange the potato slices in a single partially overlapping layer. Sprinkle the potatoes with the Parmesan cheese and rosemary. Transfer the pizza on to the stone and bake until the crust is nicely browned and the potatoes are coloured and slightly curled at the edges. This will take 8-15 minutes depending on your oven. Mine took 13 minutes (my oven is not very efficient).
Step By Step Photos
Add potatoes to boiling salted water and boil for 2 minutes then drain and set aside on a paper towel
Roll or stretch the pizza dough. Sprinkle a pizza paddle liberally with cornmeal and place the rolled dough onto the paddle.
Here is the leek sauce
Spread the leek evenly on the pizza crust using the back of a spoon. Leave about 1/2-inch border.
Top the sauce with the mozzarella cheese and then arrange the potato slices in a single partially overlapping layer, on top.
Sprinkle the potatoes with the Parmesan cheese and rosemary.
Transfer the pizza on to the stone and bake until the crust is nicely browned and the potatoes are coloured and slightly curled at the edges. This will take 8-15 minutes depending on your oven. Mine took 13 minutes (my oven is not very efficient).