This rice is very easy to make. You should use basmati rice if you want good results. You can use pork, beef lamb or even boneless chicken. I wish you a very happy week!
Easy Pilau Recipe
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil (I use Canola)
- whole spices (1 tsp cumin, 4 cardamom pods, 3 whole cloves & 2 inch cinnamon stick)
- 500g (Ib) boneless meat (beef, pork or chicken)
- 2 medium potatoes cut into 8 lengthways
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- Fresh ginger root, grated
- 1 teaspoon each ground cumin and coriander
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 6 tablespoons (⅓ cup) crushed tomato or passata
- 2 cups basmati rice, washed until the water runs clear and drained
- Salt to taste
- 3½ cups water
- Cook whole spices: Heat the oil over medium heat. Add the whole spices and cook until they begin to sizzle (do not burn them).
- Cook the meat and potatoes: Add the meat, potatoes and cayenne pepper. Season with a little salt and stir-fry for 1 minute. Reduce the heat, cover the pot and let cook 15-20 minutes or until meat is tender and potatoes are cooked. (if it seems dry add a few tablespoons water).
- Cook garlic, ginger and onions: Once the meat and potatoes are tender, add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute then add the onions and cook 5 minutes over low heat.
- Cook ground spices and tomatoes: Now add the cumin, coriander and garam masala and cook 1 minute then add tomatoes and cook another 1 minute.
- Cook the rice: Now add the rice and cook for 3 minutes, then add the water and salt to taste then bring to a rolling boil, stirring from time to time. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 12 minutes. During this time you should stir the rice at least 3 times. After 12 minutes switch off the heat and let rest 10 minutes before fluffing the rice and serving.