This cake is super easy to make but very delightful to eat. It’s moist and soft. I used cane molasses from Egypt. It’s amber in colour with a very nice aroma and taste. Please use overripe bananas.
Caramel Banana Cake
Preparation time: 15 minutes; Baking time: 40-45 minutes; Makes: 11 x 7 x 1.5-inch (30 x 18 x 4 cm)
- 225g (8oz, 2 cups minus 2 tbsp) all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 125g (4.5 oz, 1 stick + 1 tbsp, ½ cup +1 tbsp), butter, softened (I used margarine)
- 220g (1 cup packed) brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed bananas (2 large bananas)
- 1 tablespoon cane molasses or golden syrup
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- Grease a 11 x 7 x 1.5-inch (30 x 18 x 4 cm) pan and line the base with parchment. Preheat the oven to 360ºF (180ºC) ten minutes before using. Make sure the butter is soft.
- Sift the flour and baking powder, then combine everything in the bowl of your stand mixer and mix on low speed until all ingredients are combined.
- Beat on medium speed for 1-1½ minutes or until the mixture is smooth and pale in colour. (do not over-mix. I usually mix for just over a minute).
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and bake 40 minutes or until the top is golden and firm and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Stand 10 minutes before carefully transferring onto a wire rack to cool. Sprinkle some icing (confectioner’s sugar on top) and slice into 18 pieces.
- For cup measures: spoon the flour into the cup, heaping it up over the top, then slide a knife across the top to level off the extra. Be careful not to shake or tap the cup to settle down the flour or you will have more than you need. I use a 240ml American cup.
Points to Note:
- Please note that oven temperatures are given as a guideline only. You may need to add or reduce the suggested temperature depending on your oven. I baked the cake at 360°F (180°C) for 40 minutes.
Step By Step Photos
Here is what the batter looks like.
The cake before slicing