We finished this cake in 15 minutes flat….yes, it’s soft, moist and very delicious. Next time I’ll double the mixture and make 2. I wish you a very pleasant weekend. Ours is grey and rainy but it doesn’t matter at least winter is gone.
Mocha Sour Cream Cake
Preparation time: 15 minutes; Baking time: 50-60 minutes; Makes: 8½ x 4½ inch (21.5 x 11.4cm) loaf pan
- 190g (1½ cups) all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 100g (3.5oz) dark chocolate, melted and slightly cooled
- 125g (8 tablespoons, ½ cup + 1 tbsp) margarine or unsalted butter
- 175g (1 cup minus 2 tbsp) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons coffee granules dissolved in 1 tablespoon boiling water and cooled
- 120ml (½ cup) sour cream
- Icing (confectioners’) suga to dust the top
- Grease an 8½ x 4½ inch (21.5 x 11.4cm) loaf pan and line the base with parchment. Preheat the oven to 330ºF (160ºC) ten minutes before baking. Sift the flour and baking powder.
- Combine all ingredients in the bowl of your stand mixer and beat on low speed until the ingredients are combined. Beat on medium speed until batter is smooth and pale in colour, about 1-2 minutes (do not over-mix).
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and bake 50-60 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Set aside, 5 minutes before transferring onto the cooling rack.
- For cup measures: spoon the flour into the cup, heaping it up over the top, then slide a knife across the top to level off the extra. Be careful not to shake or tap the cup to settle down the flour or you will have more than you need. I use a 240ml American cup.
Points to Note
- Please note that oven temperatures are given as a guideline only. You may need to add or reduce the suggested temperature depending on your oven. I baked the cake at 330ºF (160ºC) for 50 minutes.
- If using instant coffee powder use 1 tablespoon. There is a difference between granules and powder. The powder is very fine. My local grocery store does not stock it.
- For a 9x 5 inch loaf pan. 280g (2¼ cups flour); 2¼ tsp baking; 150g (6oz) chocolate; 185g (¾ cup) butter; 250g (2¼ cups) sugar; 3 eggs; 3 tbsp coffee granules; ¾ cup sour cream.
Step By Step Photos
Mix all ingredients in a bowl, beat on low speed until combined then beat until pale and smooth (do not over-mix).
Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and bake 59-60 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Set aside, 5 minutes before transferring onto the cooling rack.
Dust cooled cake with icing sugar before slicing