This walnut bread is so easy to make. I highly recommend that you make the glacé icing. Please use real unsalted butter and not margarine for the icing. The butter gives a unique flavour. I wish you a great week!
Whole Wheat Honey Walnut Bread
Preparation time: 10 minutes; Baking time: minutes; Makes: 8 ½ X 4½-inch (21.5 x 11.5) loaf
- 95g (¾ cup) all purpose flour
- 105g (¾ cup) whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon, baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- 175g (¾ cup, 1¼ stick) margarine (or butter)
- 80ml (⅓ cup) milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 75g (⅓ cup packed) brown sugar
- 60g (2oz, ½ cup) chopped walnuts
- 1 egg, beaten
- A few whole walnuts to decorate the top
- 125g (1 cup) icing (confectioners) sugar
- 15g (1 tablespoon) real unsalted butter
- 30ml (2 tablespoons) boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 340ºF (170ºC) ten minutes before using. Grease an 8 ½ X 4½-inch (21.5 x 11.5 cm) loaf pan and line the bottom with overhanging parchment paper. Sift or whisk the flours and baking soda into a bowl. Set aside.
- Place the margarine (or butter), milk, honey and sugar in a medium saucepan. Stir over medium heat, without boiling, until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Set aside for 10 minutes, then stir in the sifted flour, walnuts and beaten egg.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and level the top. Bake 30-40 minutes or until light golden on top and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Set aside for 5 minutes then transfer onto the cooling rack.
- To make glacé icing: combine the butter and water in a heat proof bowl and warm in the microwave until butter is melted. Add the sifted icing sugar and and mix to a smooth paste (adjust consistency by adding a little hot water if necessary). Stand the bowl over a pan of simmering water and stir until icing is glossy. Immediately pour the glacé icing over the cooled cake and decorate with whole walnuts. You can add a few drops of yellow colour if you want.
- For cup measures: spoon the flour into the cup, heaping it up over the top, then slide a knife across the top to level off the extra. Be careful not to shake or tap the cup to settle down the flour or you will have more than you need. I use a 240ml, American cup.
Point to Note
- Please note that oven temperatures are given as a guideline only. You may need to add or reduce the suggested temperature depending on your oven. I baked the bread at 340°F (170°C) for 35 minutes.
Step By Step Photos
Place the butter, milk, honey and sugar in a medium saucepan. Stir over medium heat, without boiling, until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Set aside for 10 minutes
Stir the sifted flours, walnuts and beaten egg into the melted butter mixture.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and level the top. Bake 30-40 minutes or until light golden on top and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Set aside for 5 minutes then transfer onto the cooling rack to cool completely. Make the glacé icing and immediately pour over the cooled cake. Decorate with whole walnuts.
Yummy. One of my favourite cakes 🙂 ❤
Belated New Year Greetings! I have missed your posts. Regards to Natascha!!!