This tart is amazing and addictive. The secret ingredient is the almond flour. Please do not substitute it.
Frangipane Tart with Jam and Almond filling
For the pastry (Makes 569g/1.2Ib dough; for 2 x 9 x 1-inch tart tins)
- 300g (10oz) plain flour
- 25g (2 tablespoons) caster or fine grained sugar
- 200g cold unsalted butter, diced into ½ inch cubes
- 1 egg yolk
- grated rind of ½ lemon
- 2-3 tablespoons cold water ( I added 2 tablespoons water)
For the filling
- 340g (12oz) jar raspberry or apricot jam
- 100g (1 cup minus 2 tbsp) all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- 50g (1.8oz) ground almonds (almond flour)
- Grated rind of 1 orange
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 100g (6½ tablespoons, ) butter or margarine
- 100g (½ cup) fine grained or caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 50g (1.8oz) flaked almonds
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar extra, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF (200ºC) Gas 6, ten minutes before using. Put a heavy baking sheet to heat up in the oven. You’ll start baking the tart at 400ºF then reduce the heat to 350º after 15 minutes. You need a 9½ x 1¼ inch (24 x 3 cm) fluted flan tin.
- Make the pastry: place the flour, sugar and cold butter in a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles large peas. Add the egg yolk, rind and 2 tablespoons water and pulse until the mixture starts forming into a dough then stop (add another tablespoon water only if necessary). Pour the contents onto the counter and bind to a dough. Knead the dough with the palm of your hands 3-4 times then form into a disk (the dough should be smooth but not sticky). Wrap in cling film and place in the fridge for 30 minutes. Now the dough is ready to use (569g dough).
- Roll the pastry: roll the pastry into a 12-inch circle and use it to line the tin. Cut off excess pastry. Lightly prick the pastry base with a fork and chill in the fridge for at least 20 minutes.
- Fill with the Jam: spread the jam evenly over the bottom of the prepared pan. Chill in the fridge as you prepare the rest of the filling.
- Make the filling: Sift the flour and baking powder. Stir in the almond flour and set aside. Mix the orange rind with the orange juice. Set aside. Cream the butter or margarine with the sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one a time until fully incorporated. Fold in the flour and orange juice in two batches. Add 2-3 tablespoons milk to give a soft dropping consistency.
- Spoon the filling and bake: spoon the batter into the pastry case and spread evenly over the jam. Sprinkle the top with the flaked almonds. Place the tart on the preheated baking sheet and bake in the centre of the oven for 15 minutes then reduce the heat to 350ºF (180ºC) Gas 4 and continue baking another 20-30 minutes or until the filling is golden brown. It should spring back when touched. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the extra sugar over the top. Set aside to cool then transfer onto a serving plate. Serve warm with custard or at room temperature for tea.
- For cup measures: spoon the flour into the cup, heaping it up over the top, then slide a knife across the top to level off the extra. Be careful not to shake or tap the cup to settle down the flour or you will have more than you need. I use a 240ml American cup.
Points to Note
- Please note that oven temperatures are given as a guideline only. You may need to add or reduce the suggested temperature depending on your oven. I baked the tart at 400°F (200°C) for 15 minutes, then at 350ºF (180ºC) for 25 minutes, total 40 minutes.
- Please do not use shortening in this recipe if you want excellent results. Use pure unsalted butter only. Do not use margarine either.
Step By Step Photos
Make the dough: Pulse the flour sugar and butter in a food processor until it resembles large peas. Add the egg yolk and 2-3 tablespoons water. When dough starts forming, pour onto countertop and bind. Knead the dough with the palm of your hands 3-4 times then form into a disk.
Roll the pastry: roll the pastry into a 12-inch circle and use it to line the tin. Lightly prick the pastry base with a fork and chill in the fridge for at least 20 minutes. Spread the jam evenly over the bottom of the tart shell. Chill in the fridge as you prepare the rest of the filling.
Prepare the batter and spoon into the pastry shell. Sprinkle the top with flaked almonds. Bake in the centre of the oven for 15 minutes then reduce the heat to 350ºF (180ºC) Gas 4 and continue baking another 20-30 minutes or until the filling is golden brown.
I actually used 250g dough exactly to cover the 9.5 inch flan tin so this dough of 569g should be enough for double or two 9 inch flan tins but you must be exceptional at rolling.
I was able to line 2 x 9 x 1 inch tart tins and had 150g left over.