You can buy Pearl millet at your local health food store, bulk food stores or the health food aisle of your local supermarket or Bob’s Red Mill. I buy mine and the Bulk Barn. Here is: how to cook millet
Pearl Millet Salad with Apple Cucumber and Avocado
- 3 cups cooked millet
- 1 cup diced cucumber, seeds removed
- 1 cup diced red apple of your choice
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4-5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon old fashioned Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- To cook millet: boil 2½ cups water, add 1 cup millet and simmer 20 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes then fluff. This yields 4½ cups.
- Make the salad dressing: mix all salad ingredients and shake thoroughly. Season with enough salt and pepper to taste. Adjust lemon to olive oil ratio to suit your palate/
- Toss the salad: Put all salad ingredients in a large bowl. Drizzle over 3/4 of the dressing. Toss to combine and set aside in the fridge for at least 30 minutes for flavours to meld.
Step By Step Photos
Above is a photo of millet before cooking
Put all salad ingredients in a large bowl.
Drizzle over ¾ of the dressing.
Toss to combine and set aside in the fridge for at least 30 minutes for flavours to meld.