How to Cook Pearl Millet
- 1 cup pearl millet (yields 4½ cups cooked)
- 2½ cups water
- Salt to taste
- Bring the water to a boil in a medium pot over high heat. Add the millet and enough salt to taste. Bring back to the boil, cover with a lid, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until millet is cooked. Switch off the heat and let rest for 5 minutes, covered, then fluff it.
- Spread the millet on a baking sheet or tray to cool completely then use for salad.
Points to Note
- 1 cup millet yields 4¼ cups cooked millet.
- I usually cook mine for 20 minutes flat.
Below is a photo of uncooked Pearl millet
Step By Step Photos
Bring back to the boil and then simmer, covered for 20 minutes.
Mine cooks perfectly, in 20 minutes.
Fluff the millet
I tried millet once, many, many years ago, and liked it. Have had in the back of my mind to try it again, but just haven’t gotten around to it. Your post spurs me onward! ;->
Happy New Year!!!!!
I tried it last year with avocado, so creamy and nice and refreshing and filling!!! This has now become my go to salad!!!!
I am glad post has spurred you on.
Virtual New Year Hugs!!!!
I’ll do it! ;->
Have a lovely day!