I bought a 2.2 pound (1kg) marinated pork shoulder butt portion, flavoured with applewood Smoke. I added butter and olive oil, tomatoes, cayenne pepper, lentils and vegetables, and used home-made turkey stock, simmered with bouquet garni. Please make sure you season to perfection. Wish you a happy cooking.
Slow Cooker Pork with Lentils and Vegetables
Preparation time: 20 minutes; Cooking time: 6-8 hours;; Serves: 4-6
- 1 kg (2.2 pound) pork shoulder butt portion (marinated and flavoured with applewood smoke)
- 2 medium carrots cut into chunks
- 2 celery stalks, ribbed and finely sliced
- 1 large onion chopped
- 450g (1Ib) potatoes cut into chunks
- 1 cup dried lentils (Brown Masoor dal or laird green lentils) washed and drained
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- ½ cup crushed tomatoes or passata
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1½-2 teaspoons salt or to taste
- ½-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
- 3 cups hot chicken or vegetable stock (broth)
- Mix together all the vegetables, tomatoes, lentils, olive oil, butter, salt and pepper to taste and stock in the bowl of the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Place the meat in the centre of the vegetables. Cover the slow cooker and cook 6-8 hours on slow setting. Flip the meat over halfway through the cooking. Serve immediately otherwise the lentils will soak up all the liquid.
- Optional: you can add some fresh or dried herbs and a seasoning like paprika or your favourite seasonings, if you like.
- My local store (Zehrs) sells marinated portions of pork shoulder. I find them so easy to use.
Step By Step Photos
Prepare the vegetables and wash and drain the lentils
Mix together all the vegetables, tomatoes, lentils oil and butter, salt and pepper to taste and stock in the bowl of the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
Place the meat in the centre of the vegetables. Cover the slow cooker and cook 6-8 hours on slow setting. Flip the meat over halfway through cooking.