Lentils are a great way of eating filling food, with less carbohydrate. I try to include lentils or beans in every meal I take, as a side. This means I can eat less carbs and still feel full for several hours and avoid snacking. I wish you a pleasant day.
Here is the green lentil I used. It’s called Laird lentil. Laird lentils are the largest green lentils.They were developed at the University of Saskatchewan, Canada, and target markets with a preference for large lentils. The smallest are called Eston lentils.
Laird Lentil Soup with Coconut (Green Lentil)
Preparation time: 10 minutes; Cooking time: 30 minutes; Serves: 3-4
- 2-3 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- ½-1 teaspoon red pepper flakes or other chilli
- 1 cup finely diced carrot
- 1 cup finely diced potatoes
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1-inch fresh ginger finely grated
- 1 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ cup strained (passata) or crushed tomato
- 1⅓ cup green (Laird) Lentils washed and soaked for 2 hours.
- 2½ cups stock (broth)
- 1x 400ml (14oz) can coconut milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A handful coriander leaves chopped
- Heat the oil in a deep saucepan and add the onion, pepper flakes, carrot, potatoes and salt to taste, and sweat over low heat for 15 minutes, covered, stirring from time to time.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring for one minute. Then add the cumin and coriander and cook for two minutes, stirring. Add the passata, lentils, stock (broth) and coconut milk, and stir to combine. Bring to the boil and simmer partly covered, 15-18 minutes, or until cooked to your liking. Check seasoning and garnish with coriander. Serve hot. (if you don’t soak the lentils they’ll take 35-45 minutes to cook-in that case you’ll sweat the vegetables for a shorter time-10 minutes).
Healthy soup 👍😊