I added bacon to this rice. If you want a vegetarian option just omit the bacon and add the other ingredients. You can also add more chickpeas if you want. Its a completely simple and versatile recipe that can be tweaked to suit your palate. Have a pleasant week!
Basmati Rice with Chickpeas Mushroom and Sun-dried Tomato
- 2-4 tablespoons olive oil or ghee
- 4 slices bacon finely diced
- 1 medium onion, moon sliced
- 8-10 sun-dried tomatoes in oil, finely chopped
- 225g (8oz) button mushrooms sliced
- ½ teaspoon dried chilli flakes or finely chopped chillies
- 1/2 cup good quality diced tomatoes
- 400g (2 cups) basmati rice
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 800ml (3½ cups) water or stock (broth) (you can also add a bouillon cube to the water)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash the rice until the water runs clear. Drain thoroughly, set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy based 11-inch pan or skillet. Add the bacon and cook until browned.
- Add the onion, sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms and chilli and cook 5-7 minutes on medium high heat, stirring from time to time.
- Add the tomatoes and paprika cook about 2 minutes then add the rice and cook until fully coated with other ingredients, 2-3 minutes. Add the chickpeas and cook one minute.
- Add the water (or stock) and bring to a rolling boil. Season with salt and pepper to taste and stir to combine. Cover the pan, reduce the heat and simmer for 12 minutes. Please do not lift the lid during the twelve minutes.
- Turn off the heat and leave undisturbed for a further 10 minutes. Lift the lid, fluff the rice and serve immediately.
myfavouritepastime.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you!