Make sure the margarine or unsalted butter being used is softened first. It’s best to use freshly squeezed orange juice. You can also use lime or lemon juice or dissolved instant coffee (1 teaspoon), or honey or maple syrup or melted chocolate. The sky is the limit. Happy Baking!
To prepare the orange butter icing: sift icing (confectioners) sugar into a bowl.
Orange Butter Icing
Preparation time: 5 minutes Makes: about 1 cup
- 1½ cups icing (confectioners) sugar
- 20g (2 tablespoons) soft margarine
- 1½-2 tablespoons orange juice
- Sift the icing sugar into a bowl. Stir in butter and enough juice to make a spreadable consistency (I added about 1¾ tablespoons orange juice)
- Keep covered with a damp cloth until ready to use
- This is a simple butter icing for spreading on top of the cake.