You can use any other salad greens like spinach or mixed spring greens. You can also use goat cheese instead of Feta. I love the saltiness and tang of Feta. Have a great week!
Chicken with Lentil Salad
Ingredients for the Salad
- 1 cup dried brown Masoor lentils (this will yield 3 cups cooked lentils)
- 227g (½ Ib) grape tomatoes, washed and cut into halves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 small boneless chicken breasts, seasoned with salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups ready to use arugula or mixed greens
- ⅓ cup crumbled Feta Cheese
Ingredients for Lemon Dressing
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 6 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon or lime rind (Zest)
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cook lentils in advance: If you soak the lentils for 2 hours they’ll cook in 15-18 minutes. You can also cook the lentils without soaking and this will take at least 40 minutes. You can do this in advance. 1 cup dried brown lentils yields 3 cups cooked.
- Cook the chicken: While the lentils are cooking heat the olive oil in a heavy based grill pan and cook the chicken over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until fully cooked and no longer pink inside.
- To make lemon dressing: combine the lemon juice, olive oil, honey, lemon or lime rind (zest) and crushed garlic together in a salad bottle and shake thoroughly to combine. Add enough salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix all salad ingredients: place lentils and tomatoes in a large bowl and pour dressing over. Toss to combine. Let flavours meld for at least 30 minutes, the longer the better.
- Assemble the salad: divide the arugula and lentils over 4 plates. Add a piece of chicken to each plate. Drizzle dressing over greens and sprinkle with Feta cheese. Serve.
divide the arugula and lentils over 4 plates. Add a piece of chicken to each plate. Drizzle dressing over greens.
sprinkle with Feta cheese and serve.