I made this cake and it was gone in a flash. The texture is soft and the orange glacé icing is amazing. Please use freshly squeezed orange juice. I wish you a pleasant week!
Quick Orange Lemon Cake with Sultanas
Preparation time: 20 minutes; Baking time: 40-50 minutes; Makes:
- 225g (8oz, 2 cups minus 2 tbsp) all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Zest (grated rind) of 1 large orange
- Zest (grated rind) of 1 medium lemon
- 125g (4.5oz, 1 stick + 1tbsp, ½ cup + 1 tbsp) butter, softened
- 150g (¾ cup) sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sultanas (golden raisins) to be folded in after mixing batter
- 1 tablespoon extra flour for folding sultanas
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 20g (4 teaspoons) butter, softened
- About 1½-2 cups icing (confectioners’) sugar, sifted
- Grease an 8-inch (20cm) round cake pan and line the base with parchment or a small bundt pan. Preheat the oven to 360ºF (180ºC) ten minutes before using. Make sure the butter is very soft. You can also use margarine.
- Sift the flour and baking powder, then combine everything (except sultanas and extra flour) in the bowl of your stand mixer and mix on low speed until all ingredients are combined.
- Beat on medium speed for 1-1½ minutes or until the mixture is smooth and pale in colour. (do not over-mix. I usually mix for just over a minute).
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and bake 40-50 minutes or until the top is golden and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Stand 5 minutes before carefully transferring onto a wire rack to cool completely then pour glacé icing over the top.
- To make glacé icing: Place the butter and orange juice in a heat proof bowl and stir to combine. Add enough icing sugar to give a thick gummy consistency. Place the bowl over simmering water (double boiler) and stir with a wooden spoon until icing is glossy and pourable. Immediately pour over the cake.
- For cup measures: spoon the flour into the cup, heaping it up over the top, then slide a knife across the top to level off the extra. Be careful not to shake or tap the cup to settle down the flour or you will have more than you need. I use a 240ml American cup.
Points to Note:
- Please note that oven temperatures are given as a guideline only. You may need to add or reduce the suggested temperature depending on your oven. I baked the cake at 360°F (180°C) for 40 minutes.
Step By Step Photos
This is what the batter looks like. Fold in the sultanas (golden raisins).
Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and bake 40-50 minutes or until the top is golden and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Make the glacé icing and pour over the cake.