For cumin rice, I usually add 1½ teaspoons cumin seeds per cup of rice. You have to figure out what works best for you. I always use basmati rice. It works best for this recipe.
Cumin (Jeera) Rice
Preparation time: 5 minutes; Cooking time: 25 minutes; Serves: 4-6
- 400g (2 cups) basmati rice
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil or ghee
- 3 teaspoons cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon dried chilli flakes or finely chopped chillies
- 750ml (3 cups) water
- Wash the rice in cold water and drain thoroughly, set aside.
- Heat the oil or ghee in a large non-stick pan. Add the cumin seeds and cook over medium heat until they splutter and turn lightly browned. (do not burn them).
- Add the rice and chilli flakes and stir- fry for 2-3 minutes, until the rice is fairly dry.
- Add water and salt to taste and bring to a rolling boil. Cover the pan, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 12 minutes. Please do not lift the lid during the twelve minutes.
- Turn off the heat and leave undisturbed for a further 10 minutes. Lift the lid, fluff the rice and serve immediately.
- Tip: alway cook rice in a large based pan. You will get the best results.
Step By Step Photos
Cook cumin seeds, add chilli flakes and rice, 2-3 minutes then add the water and simmer 12 minutes. Set aside 10 minutes then fluff.
The ever popular Indian rice to accompany dals. 🙂
I know. So simple but really delicious!