I don’t know how many of you love sesame seeds? I have to say, I adore them. Have you ever sniffed the aroma of freshly roasting sesame seeds? They tend to make a lovely popping sound during roasting. My mother used to roast them and then we would eat them the whole daylong. They are not so easy to eat. You have to either use a spoon or just pour them in your palm and lick them. That’s what I loved doing best. They seemed to taste better than spooned ones. Today, there are all sorts of sesame snacks. I love the sesame snaps most but I always just buy a few to avoid overeating.
What about Tahini paste? (a paste made from ground, hulled sesame seeds)? Do you like it? I have a friend who eats spoonfuls of crunchy peanut butter. I thought it was rather silly and disgusting, but now I find myself eating spoonfuls of tahini paste. How ironic. I hope my friend never barges in on me. The best part of the chickpea salad I want to share with you today, is the tahini paste. If you don’t eat sesame, please don’t bother with the salad. I don’t think there is a real substitute for tahini paste. I can sum it up in few words: the salad tastes extremely nice. Please try it, if you can. I wish you a happy weekend. Enjoy whatever weather you’re experiencing.
Chickpea Salad with Tahini Dressing
Preparation time: 20 minutes; Serves: 4-6
- 2 x 540ml can chickpeas drained and rinsed (4 cups chickpeas)
- 4 medium tomatoes, deseeded and diced
- 2 medium red or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 small red onion finely diced
- 4 spring (green) onions sliced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Thinly sliced red onions to garnish
Tahini Dressing Ingredients
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons tahini paste (sesame paste)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½teaspoon cayenne or black pepper
- ½ teaspsoon salt or to taste
- To make dressing: combine all dressing ingredients in a screw top jar and shake vigorously to make a creamy dressing. Pour over the salad and mix to combine. Garnish with red onions and pepper. Serve.
- Combine all salad ingredients in a bowl. Pour dressing over and toss to combine.
- This post was first published in on June 21, 2014 and has been revised today-April 5, 2019.
Step By Step Photos
Dressing ingredients: To make dressing: combine all salad ingredients in a screw top jar and shake vigorously to make a creamy dressing.
Mix all salad ingredients in a bowl and pour dressing over. Toss to combine