This creamy red wine sauce with Parmesan, can be used to coat fresh pasta filled with meat or soft cheeses, or used to coat dried pasta of your choice, like farfalle, penne or oriechette. The secret ingredient here is the wine (a good quality wine that you can sip as you cook the pasta), and I am sorry, in my opinion, there is no substitute for wine. If you are not going to add the wine or the cheese then there is no need to make this sauce. Have a lovely day!!!!
Tortellini with Creamy Red Wine Sauce
Preparation time: 5 minutes; Cooking time: 30 minutes; Serves: 4
- 500ml (2 cups filled to bream) good quality Italian Passata or crushed tomatoes
- 120ml (½ cup) good quality red wine
- 1 beef or chicken or vegetable bouillon cube
- 160ml (⅔ cup) 35-40% cream
- 500g (1 pound) fresh cappelletti or tortellini or ravioli
- A handful of fresh basil leaves, finely shredded
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano Cheese
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Extra Parmesan to top.
- Simmer the passata and the wine: Mix the passata and wine in a large saucepan and stir to combine. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper, add the bouillon cube and bring to the boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, uncovered.
- Add the cream and then cheese: add the cream stir and simmer another 5 minutes, then add cheese and stir to mix. adjust seasoning and keep the sauce hot.
- Cook the pasta: meanwhile cook the pasta as per packet instructions and drain it, then transfer to a warm serving dish. Pour the sauce over the pasta and sprinkle the extra Parmesan and shredded basil leaves. Serve immediately
Step by Step Photos
Simmer the passata and the red wine, Add the cream
and simmer, another five minutes. Switch off the heat and add the Parmesan cheese, and keep the sauce hot. Cook pasta as per packet instructions.
Pour the sauce over the pasta and serve immediately.
The sauce is great. Please make sure you add a good quality wine!!!!