These muffins are crunchy on the outside but very soft and fluffy on the inside. The ones I baked, lasted 30 minutes flat. They were so good. If I can remember well, I probably ate four, without feeling guilty. I starved myself the next day. Have a great weekend!
Coconut Crunch Muffins
Preparation time: 10 minutes; Baking time: 20-25 minutes; Makes: 12
- 250g (2 cups, 9oz) all-purpose (plain) flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 130g (½ cup + 2 tablespoons) fine grained sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 2 large eggs
- 80ml (1/3 cup, 6 tablespoons oil)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons extra, desiccated coconut to top
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar or any large grained sugar to sprinkle
- Line a 12 cup muffin pan with muffin cases. Preheat the oven to 400ºF (220ºC) ten minutes before using.
- Sift or whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar into a bowl. Stir in the coconut and make a well in the centre of the flour.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, oil and buttermilk together. Pour the egg mixture into the well and stir gently until to combine. Spoon the mixture, evenly, into the muffin cases, then sprinkle the tops with the extra coconut and turbinado sugar. Bake in the top shelf for 20-25 minutes or until golden and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Set aside 5 minutes then transfer on to the cooling rack.
- For cup measures: spoon the flour into the cup, heaping it up over the top, then slide a knife across the top to level off the extra. Be careful not to shake or tap the cup to settle down the flour or you will have more than you need. I use a 240ml American cup.
Points to Note:
- Please note that oven temperatures are given as a guideline only. You may need to add or reduce the suggested temperature depending on your oven. I baked the muffins at 400ºF (220) for 20 minutes.