Rice is our favourite carbohydrate. Please use basmati rice for this recipe. I used the extra long grain basmati rice.
Chickpea Coconut Rice
Preparation time: 5 minutes; Cooking time: 35 minutes; Serves: 4-6
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion moon-sliced
- 1/2-1 teaspoon dried Chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2-1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian style seasoning
- 1 chicken or beef bouillon cube
- 2 cups Basmati rice washed and drained (I used extra long basmati)
- 1 x 540ml can chick peas
- 1x 400ml can coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- Salt to taste.
- You need a large 11-12 inch saucepan to cook this rice
- Heat two tablespoons olive oil and sauté the onions for about 5 minutes. Add the chickpeas and stir to combine then add all the spices and the bouillon cube and cook for 2 minutes over low heat.
- Add the rice with 2 tablespoons olive oil and cook for 2-3 minutes over medium high heat until the rice is fully coated with the oil.
- Add the coconut milk, water and enough salt to taste and bring to the boil stirring. Reduce the heat and simmer 12 minutes covered. Switch off the heat and let stand ten minutes then fluff the rice and serve.