Pistou is a simple pesto used as an accompaniment for soup. The basic ingredients are fresh basil leaves, garlic, parmesan and extra virgin olive oil. The pesto is seasoned with freshly ground pepper and salt.
Pour the pistou in a small bowl
and serve as an accompaniment to soups or stews.
Preparation time: 15 minutes; Cooking time: 45 minutes; Serves: 6
- A large handful of basil leaves (about 40 basil leaves)
- 3-4 cloves garlic or to your taste
- Coarse salt to taste
- A good grinding of pepper
- (60g, 2oz) Parmesan, freshly grated
- 4-8 tablespoons oil
- To Make the Pistou: tear the basil leaves and pound them with the garlic, salt and pepper in a mortar. Add the parmesan in 3 batches, each time alternating with 2 tablespoons olive oil and continue pounding to a thick paste or to your desired thickness.
- Pour the pistou in a small bowl and serve as an accompaniment to soups or stews.