I saw this sandwich in a Better Homes and Garden Magazine and the next day I was eating it for lunch. I bought a huge chunk of pork so the day after, we had Shredded Pork Tacos for dinner. It was so good while it lasted. I plan to make this at least once a month. Enjoy the week!
Pour some cooking juice over the shredded meat to moisten and reheat in a saucepan over medium high heat, stirring frequently. Serve on toasted buns, taco shells or tortillas, with BBQ sauce and condiments.
Shredded Pork Roast Sandwiches
Preparation time: 20 minutes; Cooking time: 3 hours:
- 8 small or 4 large cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano crushed
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1½ kg (3 Ib) boneless pork shoulder roast
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium capsicum (green bell pepper) julienned
- ¼ cup sherry or white wine (optional)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 12 hamburger buns or kaiser rolls split and toasted
- BBQ sauce or other sauce (optional)
- Toppings: shredded cabbage, tomatoes, onion, avocado (please your palate)
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF (160ºC). Trim off excess fat from the meat.
- Combine the garlic, coriander, cumin, oregano, onion powder, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper in a small bowl. Rub this spice mixture evenly all over the roast with your fingers.
- Heat the oil in a dutch oven or heavy based oven proof pot. Brown the roast on all sides, remove and set aside. In the same pot cook the capsicum for about 2 minutes and then deglaze the bottom of the dutch oven with the wine or sherry. Put the roast back into the Dutch oven and pour the beef broth over it. Cover and roast in the middle rack of the oven for 2½ to 3 hours or until very tender.
- Remove the meat from the pot and set aside to cool. Pour the cooking juices to a separate container and scheme off the fat and set aside.
- Shred the meat, using two forks. Pour some cooking juice over the shredded meat to moisten and reheat in a saucepan over medium high heat, stirring frequently.
- Serve on toasted buns, taco shells or tortillas, with bbq sauce and condiments.
- Slow cooker: after browning the roast, place it in a 3½-5 quart/litre slow cooker. Add the beef broth, cover and cook on low-heat for 8-10 hours or on high-heat for 4 to 5 hours.