How can I describe it? Crunchy coconut and sticky lime at the top. Subtle pineapple and banana flavour and aroma. Not too sugary but very moist and pleasant. Once you start eating, you can’t stop. If you love over the top sugary cakes then perhaps this wasn’t meant for you! Have a wonderful week! The original recipe is from Ricardocuisine.com.
This is one of the best cakes I’ve eaten in a long time.
Banana Pineapple Bread with Coconut
Preparation time: 10 minutes; Baking time: 40 minutes; Makes: 2 (9 x 5) cakes
- 225g (8oz) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- A pinch salt
- 1 x 14 oz/398ml can crushed pineapple
- 3 eggs
- 250g (8.8oz) sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) vanilla essence (extract)
- 125g (4.5oz) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (3 bananas)
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) lime juice
- 1/2 cup (35 g) unsweetened shredded coconut
- 100g sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lime juice
- 1/2 cup (35 g) unsweetened shredded coconut, lightly toasted
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and line two 10 x 4-inch (25 x 10 cm) loaf pans with overhanging parchment. Sift or whisk the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Set aside. (I used 9 x 5 inch pans.)
- Drain the pineapple and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Set the pineapple aside. Keep the juice for another use.
- Beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla essence with an electric mixer until the mixture doubles in volume and falls in ribbons from the beater, (takes 2-3 minutes with a hand mixer on high speed). Stir in the butter and lime juice, then add the mashed bananas and stir until smooth.
- Fold in the sifted flour, coconut and pineapple.
- Spoon the batter equally into the prepared pans. Bake in the centre of the oven for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Lemon Syrup: In a small saucepan, heat the extra sugar and lemon juice over medium heat, stirring, until sugar is dissolved, Bring to the boil and remove from the heat .
- Stir in the toasted coconut. Pour over the warm cake while still in tin (pan). Let soak in for 30 minutes then transfer onto cooling rack.