This dish was a hit. For the breadcrumbs I just threw 2 slices of whole grain bread in a chopper and made fresh crumbs. You can use Panko or other fancy crumbs if you like. You can also increase the amount of cheese if you want. I wish you a very pleasant weekend. Our day has started with SUN…..YES LOTS OF IT!
Remove the pot from the heat and slowly add the milk to the roux, stirring constantly until all the milk is incorporated. Return the pot to the heat and cook, stirring throughout, until the sauce is thick, smooth and glossy. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
Place under a hot broiler for 2-3 minutes or until the crumbs are toasted and crunchy.
Macaroni and Cheese with Ground Beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 600g (1.3 Ib) beef
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 400g ( 14oz) scoobi doo pasta or other short pasta
- 60g (4 tablespoons) butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2½ cups milk
- 1 ½ cups grated mature Cheddar cheese or mixture of your favourite cheeses
- You will need a pan or skillet that can be placed under the broiler/grill
- 1 cup grated cheese, extra
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs or panko breadcrumbs (shred 2 slices of bread in a food chopper) I used whole bread
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano, extra
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, extra
- Boil pasta in plenty of salted water as per packet instructions until al-dente. Drain, set aside and keep warm.
- Heat the olive oil in a large 12-inch pan or skillet. Add the ground beef. Cook over high heat for about 10 minutes or until no longer pink. Add the paprika, chilli pepper and oregano, and continue cooking until slightly brown. Remove the meat with a slotted spoon and set aside. Keep warm.
- In the same pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and cook gently for one minute.
- Remove the pot from the heat and slowly add the milk to the roux, stirring constantly until all the milk is incorporated. Return the pot to the heat and cook, stirring throughout, until the sauce is thick, smooth and glossy. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Stir in the cheddar cheese and continue stirring until all the cheese is melted and the mixture is very smooth.
- Add the drained pasta and the ground beef to the cheese sauce and stir to combine. Sprinkle the extra cheese on top of the pasta.
- Mix the breadcrumbs with parmesan, oregano and olive oil and sprinkle over the cheese. Place under a hot broiler/grill for 2-3 minutes or until the crumbs are toasted and crunchy.
- Serve immediately.