and decorate with extra walnuts.
Coffee and Walnut Cake
Preparation time: 15 minutes; Baking time: 45 minutes; Makes: 8-10 slices
- 250g (8.8oz, 2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 180ml (6fl. oz, 3/4 cup) milk
- 115g (4oz, 8 tablespoons, 1 stick) butter diced
- 3 tablespoons instant coffee granules (or two tablespoons instant coffee powder)
- 180g (6.5 oz, ¾ cup) fine sugar
- 90g (3oz) coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 eggs, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 1 quantity coffee Glacè Icing
- Extra walnuts, for decorating the top
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF (160ºC, Gas 2-3) ten minutes before baking. Grease and line the base of a 9 x 5 inch pan (23 x 13cm ) with overhanging parchment. Sift the flour and baking powder and set aside.
- Put the milk, butter and coffee in a large saucepan and gently heat over medium-high heat until the butter melts and the coffee dissolves. Remove pan from heat.
- Stir in sugar and walnuts.
- Then stir in the eggs until combined.
- Lastly, stir in the flour until just combined.Transfer the mixture into the prepared tin (pan) and bake 40-45 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool in the tin about 5-10 minutes then transfer onto the wire rack to cool.
- Pour place icing over the top of the cake and decorate with extra walnuts.
Points to Note
- Please note that oven temperatures are given as a guideline only. You may need to add or reduce the suggested temperature depending on your oven. I baked the cake at 325°F (160°C) for 45 minutes.
- For cup measures: spoon the flour into the cup, heaping it up over the top, then slide a knife across the top to level off the extra. Be careful not to shake or tap the cup to settle down the flour or you will have more than you need.. I used 240ml American cup.