We had this chicken for dinner last night. It tasted really good. I used only one lemon but if you prefer a strong lemon taste then suit your palate and adjust the lemon. I also used dried rosemary and it worked just fine. I served it with some baked brown rice which I cooked side by side with the chicken. Canada is cold-what more can I say? We had some snow a few days ago. Please send me some sunshine and wish you a very pleasant week!
Remove the chicken from the oven, baste with roasting juices and set aside, covered, for 15 minutes to rest. Carve and serve the chicken
Roast Chicken with Lemon and Rosemary
Preparation time: 20 minutes; Roasting time: 1.30-1.45 hours; Serves. 4
Ingredients for the rub
- Zest (rind) of two lemons
- 1½ teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 1½ teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1.5kg (3.5 Ib) whole chicken, washed, inside and out, trimmed off fat and patted dry, inside and out
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon cut into 8 pieces
- ¼ cup broth (stock) or white wine
For the gravy
- 2-3 teaspoons cornstarch (cornflour) mixed with ½ cup water or broth
- ¼ cup white wine
- Roasting juices from the pan.
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF (190ºC) ten minutes before using. Mix all the ingredients for the rub and set aside.
- Sprinkle the inside of the chicken liberally with salt, ½ teaspoon rosemary and freshly ground pepper. Carefully lift the skin and rub half of the rub evenly under the skin. Place half the lemon slices in the chicken cavity. Close the cavity with a toothpick or small skewer. Truss the chicken.
- Drizzle or brush olive oil liberally over the whole chicken. Sprinkle the remaining rub evenly over the whole chicken. Place chicken in a roasting pan, breast side up. Add the broth or wine and remaining lemon slices to the roasting pan.
- Roast the chicken in the middle rack of the oven for 45 minutes. Remove the chicken and baste with juices from the roasting pan. Continue roasting for another 30-45 minutes basting every 15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven, baste with roasting juices and set aside, covered, for 15 minutes to rest.
- To make Gravy: skim off the oil from the roasting pan and transfer the juices to a small sauce pan. Add the water-cornflour mixture and white wine. Bring to the boil and simmer 10 minutes, stirring from time to time. Check seasoning. Serve in a gravy boat.
- Carve the chicken and serve.
Points to Note
- Tip from Jamie Oliver: you can tell the chicken is cooked when the thigh meat pulls easily away from the bone and the juices run clear.
- My chicken roasted perfectly in 1 hour 45 minutes. I switched off the oven in the last 10 minutes. Roasting time will depend on your oven and the type of roasting dish used.
- If you have an instant read thermometer then the safe internal minimum temperature for cooked chicken is 165°F (75°C).
- Last updated: 6 April 2017