My Favourite Breads
I made these rolls sometime in October. They tasted really nice. My daughter loves them and her friend at school loves them even more. They are easy to make. I hope you find some time to try them. Have a lovely day.
Put the dough into a generously oiled bowl
Cut into 4 lengthwise
Parker House Rolls
- 625g-750g (22-260z, 1.4-1.6Ib, 5-6 cups) all purpose flour (I used 700g flour)
- 2 teaspoons Fleischmann’s instant yeast (or 1 package, 7g, 2¼ teaspoons, active dry yeast)
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 60g (4 tablespoons, ¼ cup) sugar
- 300ml (1¼ cups) milk
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 115g (7 tablespoons, 1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- Extra melted butter for brushing
- Grease a 9 x 13-inch deep glass dish with melted butter. Preheat the oven to 350ºF (175ºC) 10 minutes before baking.
- Sift or whisk 625g (5 cups) flour with yeast, salt and sugar in the bowl of the electric mixer. In another bowl whisk together the milk, eggs and melted butter and add to the four cups flour in the bowl. Mix on low speed to a soft and sticky dough, adding more flour only if required. Continue beating for another 5 minutes until the dough is smooth but still sticky. (The dough weighed 1372g)
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface, knead briefly and form into a ball. Put into a generously oiled bowl. Cover with cling film. Set aside for 1-1½ hours or until doubled in size.
- Knock back onto a lightly floured surface and roll into a 12 x 16 inch rectangle. Cut into 4 lengthwise and cut crosswise into 8 pieces as shown in the picture (makes 32).
- Brush each piece with melted butter and fold into half (butter side inside) and arrange in the dish as shown. Butter the top with lots of butter, cover with plastic wrap and let rise 30-50 minutes
- Brush risen dough with more melted butter and bake at 350ºF (175ºC) for 30-35 minutes until golden. Remove from oven, let rest in oven dish for about 15 minutes before tipping over on a wire rack to cool.
- If mixing by hand: Sift or whisk 625g (5 cups) flour with yeast, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre. In another bowl whisk together the milk, eggs and melted butter and pour into the well and mix to a soft and sticky dough. Turn on a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes. The dough should be quite sticky and very soft. Continue with steps 3-6.
Points to Note
- I baked the rolls at 350ºF (175ºC) for 30 minutes.
- For cup measures: spoon the flour into the cup, heaping it up over the top, then slide a knife across the top to level off the extra. Be careful not to shake or tap the cup to settle down the flour or you will have more than you need. Cup measures based on 240ml, American cup.