My Favourite Breads
Meanwhile, life has been overwhelming and busy for me but I think I might just start the posting streaks again, from today. We have a lovely and sunny day. I hope you have a wonderful weather too…wish you a very pleasant and happy week!
Spoon the mixture into prepared pan and bake 40-450 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.Mix the extra lemon juice with about 3/4 of the confectioners sugar to a pouring consistency. Pour over the cake while still warm and leave to cool completely.
Slice and serve
Preparation time: 20 minutes; Baking time: 40-50 minutes; Makes: one 9 x 5 inch loaf
- 200g (7oz, 1 2/3 cup) all-purpose flour
- 25g (3 level tablespoons) vanilla custard powder-you can also use cornstarch (cornflour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 140g (5oz, ½ cup + 1 tablespoon) sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 125g (½ cup, 4.5oz, 1 stick + 1 tablespoon) butter, softened
- Rind (zest) of 1 lemon and 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 120g (1 cup) confectioners (icing) sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, extra
- Grease a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan (tin) and line the base with parchment. Preheat the oven to 340ºF (170ºC) ten minutes before baking. Sift the flour, custard powder and baking powder into a bowl.
- Add the sugar, eggs, butter, lemon zest and juice to the sifted flour. Beat the mixture with an electric mixer until very pale and smooth (about 3 minutes).
- Spoon the mixture into prepared pan and bake 40-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, let stand 5 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Mix the extra lemon juice with about 3/4 of the confectioners sugar to a pouring consistency. Pour over the cake while still warm and leave to cool completely.
- Cup conversions based on American cup of 240ml
Points to Note
- Please note that oven temperatures are given as a guideline only. You may need to add or reduce the suggested temperature depending on your oven
- I baked at 325ºF (160ºC) for 50 minutes, but it took too long to brown, next time I’ll bake at 340ºF (170ºC).
- You’ll need two lemons for this recipe.
- For cup measures: spoon the flour into the cup, heaping it up over the top, then slide a knife across the top to level off the extra. Be careful not to shake or tap the cup to settle down the flour or you will have more than you need.