My Favourite Chicken Recipes
What does the ground (minced) chicken look like in your corner of the world? Ours here, is mushy and disgusting. I have seriously been thinking of buying a mincer. Maybe, I could then buy boneless skinless chicken and mince it myself.
I made these meatballs, yesterday for dinner and everyone loved them. I hope they will appeal to you too. Summer holidays are over, kids are back to school so maybe now I can keep a regular blogging schedule? who knows???? I have missed all my blogging buddies and all my followers too. Don’t worry, you are all deeply lodged in my mind and I think about you all, every single day. I wish you all, the best of autumn or should I call it fall??? And if you’re somewhere with lots of sunshine, please send me some. It’s grey and kind of cold, here, today.
Chicken Balls with Cheese
Preparation Time: 30 minutes; Cooking Time: Makes: 25-35 meatballs depending on size.
- 500g (1Ib) ground (minced) chicken
- 1 cup freshly made breadcrumbs (chop 2 slices of bread in a chopper)
- 100g cheese diced into 1/2 inch cubes (I used Gouda with Jalapeño)
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- a handful, coriander leaves
- 2 tablespoons cashew nuts or any other soft nuts
- Salt and pepper to taste (for 500g meat)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup (125ml) crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (125ml) white wine (I used Riesling Gewurztraminer)
- 1 x 400ml (13.5fl.oz) Coconut milk
- 1 x 540ml (19fl oz) can white (cannellini) beans, drained
- a handful coriander leaves (cilantro), shredded
- To make the paste: Combine all ingredients for paste in a small chopper and chop until smooth.
- Combine the ground chicken, fresh breadcrumbs and paste in bowl. Mix thoroughly, with a spoon or fork until combined. Form into 25-35 chicken balls placing the diced cheese in the middle. (I made 33 small meatballs)
- Heat a non-stick skillet on the stove top and brush with oil. Brown the meatballs on all sides. Set aside. (please note meatballs are partially cooked at this stage)
- To make the sauce: heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until soft. Add the paprika and cook for about a minute. Add the crushed tomatoes, coconut milk and wine and simmer uncovered for about 5 minutes.
- Add the meatballs to the sauce and simmer for 15 minutes. Then add the white beans, bring back to the boil and simmer for a further 5 minutes. Check seasoning, add the coriander leaves (cilantro) and serve on a bed of rice or with pasta.