My Favourite Chicken Recipes
This is probably one of the first recipes I made when I started blogging two and a half years ago. Don’t ask me what happened to it. It’s just one of those things. I put it aside and forgot all about it all together. Don’t you sometimes forget things you put aside?
In the process of transferring all the photos I’ve accumulated over the years, to an external hard drive, I found a bunch of forgotten recipes and photos so here I am. I have made this several times since I first made it and have sometimes used boneless chicken or wings. I loved the recipe with the wings most. Why are wings ever so tasty? and thighs too! I hope you enjoy looking at the recipe. Wish you a pleasant week!
Garam Masala Chicken
Preparation time: 20 minutes; Total cooking time: 40-45 minutes; Serves: 4-6
- I kg (2.2Ib) chicken, skinned
- 2-4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 125g (½ cup) thick set natural yoghurt
- 5 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 2-3 tablespoons ground garam masala
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground mixed spice
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper or chilli powder
- 125 ml (½ cup) chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon or salt to taste
- 25g (4 tablespoon) ground almonds
- 2 hardboiled eggs, sliced
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- Mix the chicken thoroughly with the crushed garlic and yoghurt. Cover the container and leave to marinate in a cool place for 2-4 hours or overnight in the fridge.
- Heat oil over medium heat and fry the onions until they are golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- In the same oil, fry the gram masala, ground pepper, ground mixed spice and turmeric for 15 seconds. Add the chicken along with the marinade.
- Adjust heat to medium high and fry the chicken until it changes colour (about 10 minutes)
- Add the cayenne or chilli powder, broth, salt and the fried onion slices. Bring to the boil, cover the pan and simmer until the chicken is tender (about 30 minutes).
- Stir in the ground almonds and remove from heat. Serve, immediately.
Points to note:
- Reduce cooking time if you use boneless chicken.