My Favourite Salads
Avocado (Persia americana) is one of those fruits that I never plan to use, ahead of time. Some people refer to it as alligator pear. The most outstanding fact is the presence monounsaturated fats. Monounsaturated fats are liquid at room temperature but begin to solidify if temperature is lowered. They are preferable to other types of fat and can be found in olives, olive oil, nuts, peanut oil, canola oil and avocados. Foods containing monounsaturated fats reduce low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, also known as the bad cholesterol.
Sesame oil, especially the toasted one, is used as a flavour enhancer in foods. It’s used for stir-frying meats or vegetables, sautéing, or seasoning. It’s also great in pickles and condiments. It has a strong, lingering aroma so should be used sparingly. The salad I’m sharing today has sesame-flavoured brown rice, with green onions and avocado with yoghurt dressing. It’s a healthy and filling salad that I ate a lot during summer, for lunch. I hope you’ll love it. Wish you a fantastic weekend.
Brown Rice Avocado and Grapefruit Salad
Preparation time: 10 minutes; Cooking time: 40 minutes; Serves: 4
- 200g (1 cup) brown rice
- 1½ cups water or stock
- Salt and pepper taste
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2-3 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2-4 green onions thinly sliced
- ½ cup shredded cilantro (coriander leaves)
- 2 avocados
- 2 red grapefruits
- 60ml (¼ cup, 4 tablespoons) plain yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook rice as per the following instructions. (Can be prepared ahead of time)
- Cut avocados in half, remove the seed and scoop out the flesh with a spoon and slice them.
- Peel and segment the grapefruits.
- Shake all dressing ingredients in a small jar and season to taste.
- Divide the rice onto 4 plates, arrange the avocados and grapefruits, drizzle dressing over avocado and grapefruit and serve as a side.
myfavouritepastime.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe