My Favourite Soups
Schools opened last week and my schedule changed and since then it has been a whirlwind of events, for me. I can’t remember when I last posted and now getting back to the rhythm is so hard. I hope life is good for you, wherever you are. I have been eating a lot of soup. Somehow, summer never really came and now the weather feels like mid fall.
The soup I am sharing with you today is so simple to make. I think that’s why I love soups. It’s great for busy or lazy people. I had this soup with freshly baked bread, straight out of the oven and slathered with lots of butter. It was so good, I think you know what I mean. I am trying to get back to the normal rhythm and I hope I can start posting, on a regular basis, soon. I wish you a very happy weekend, ahead. Thank God tomorrow is Friday. Don’t you always look forward to Friday?
Tomato and Fennel Soup
Preparation time: 30 minutes; Cooking time: 30 minutes; Serves: 4
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed, and finely sliced (reserve leafy tops for garnish)
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ teaspoon red chilli (pepper) flakes (optional)
- 1.2 kg (2.2Ib) skinned and chopped tomatoes (6 cups when chopped)
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 250-500ml (1-2 cups) vegetable stock
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh herbs
- ½ cup 35% cream (whipping or double cream)
- 2 teaspoons sugar (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil over medium low heat and sauté the fennel, garlic and pepper flakes until soft, about 10 minutes. (Do not brown).
- Increase heat to medium high and add the tomatoes and paprika. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes until tomatoes are soft and pulpy.
- Blend the tomatoes with the fresh herbs, return to pot, add about 1 cup stock and bring to the boil then reduce heat and add cream and sugar. Adjust seasoning. Serve hot.