Banana, cocoa powder and chocolate chips. A great combination for a banana bread. You can adjust the chocolate chips if you want and you can also add white chocolate chips instead. I wish you a pleasant week, ahead!
Double Chocolate Banana Bread
Preparation time: 15 minutes; Baking time: 1 hour 15 minutes; Makes: one 9 x 5-inch loaf
- 160g (1¼) cups all-purpose flour
- 30g (¼ cup, 4 tablespoons, 1oz) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 180g (1 cup) sugar
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 115g (1 stick, ½ cup) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 cup mashed, overripe bananas (2 large or 3 medium bananas)
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 330°F (165ºC) ten minutes before using. Grease or spray a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Line the bottom with overhanging parchment.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in the sugar and chocolate chips. Make a well in the centre.
- Whisk together the melted butter, mashed bananas, buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla extract. Pour the mixture into the well and mix gently with a wooden spoon or a spatula until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake about 55-60 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- If using cup measures: I suggest you spoon the flour into the cup, heaping it up over the top, then slide a knife across the top to level off the extra. Be careful not to shake or tap the cup to settle down the flour or you will have more than you need. I use a 240ml American cup.
Point to Note
- Please note that oven temperatures are given as a guideline only. You may need to add or reduce the suggested temperature depending on your oven. I baked the banana bread at 330°F (165°C) for 58 minutes.
Step By Step Photos
Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in the sugar and chocolate chips. Make a well in the centre.
Whisk together the melted butter, mashed bananas, buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla extract.
Pour the mixture into the well and mix gently with a spoon or a spatula until just combined.
Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake about 55-60 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Hey, Liz! How have you been? This chocolate banana bread sounds fantastic – you know how much I love bananas and chocolate. 😀 Thank you for sharing and it’s so nice to talk to you again. Take care!!
Hey gal how have you been? I’ve missed you and your blog and your stories. Glad to know you are ok. Take care and stay safe!!!!
Wow That looks mouth watering good
This looks like it has beautiful texture, and lots of yummy chocolate moisture!