Basmati Rice with Coconut and Peas
Preparation time: 5 minutes: Cooking time: 30 minutes: Serves: 4-8
- 400g (2 cups) basmati rice
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil or ghee
- ½ teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (optional) or finely chopped chillies
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 400ml can good quality coconut milk
- 350ml (1½ cups) water or vegetable stock (you can also add a bouillon cube to the water)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash the rice until the water runs clear. Drain thoroughly, set aside.
- Heat the oil in a 9-10-inch (23-25cm) based cooking pan. Add the rice and red pepper flakes and stir fry for 5 minutes, until the rice is fairly dry. Add the peas in the last 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, water (or stock) and salt to taste and bring to a rolling boil. Cover the pan, reduce heat and simmer for 12 minutes. Please do not lift the lid during the twelve minutes.
- Turn off the heat and leave undisturbed for a further 10 minutes. Lift the lid, fluff the rice and serve immediately.