Please make sure you buy good quality cheddar cheese and good quality unsalted butter for this recipe. I would not recommend margarine, because it’s very soft. I prefer cayenne pepper but you can use freshly grated black pepper if you want. The cookies taste better after 2 days or so. ENJOY! I wish you a happy weekend!
Cheddar Cheese Cookies
Preparation time: 15 minutes; Baking time: 15-20 minutes; Makes: 15 cookies
- 100g (1 cup minus 2tbsp, 3.5oz) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (you can also use freshly ground black pepper)
- 75g (⅓ cup, 5 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter diced into cubes
- 100g (3.5oz) grated mature cheddar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon old fashioned Dijon mustard (grainy)
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF (200ºC), regular setting or 375ºF (190ºC) convection setting ten minutes before using. Line a large baking sheet with parchment. Sift or whisk the flour, salt and pepper into a bowl.
- Place the flour and butter in a food processor and process until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the cheddar, lemon juice and mustard, and process until the mixture comes together into a pliable dough. Remove the dough and form into a ball. Wrap and chill, 20 minutes.
- Divide the dough in 15, 20g (0.7oz) balls and place on the prepared baking sheet. Press the balls slightly to flatten. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden.
- For cup measures, spoon the flour into the cup, heaping it up over the top, then slide a knife across the top to level off the extra. Be careful not to shake or tap the cup to settle down the flour or you will have more than you need. I use a 240ml American cup.
Points to Note
- Please note that oven temperatures are given as a guideline only. You may need to add or reduce the suggested temperature depending on your oven. I baked the cookies at 375ºF (190ºC) convection setting, for 15 minutes.
Step By Step Photos
Line a large baking sheet with parchment. Sift or whisk the flour, salt and pepper into a bowl. Place the flour and butter in a food processor
and process until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs then add the cheddar, lemon juice and mustard
and process until the mixture comes together into a pliable dough
Form the dough into a ball, wrap and chill, 20 minutes.
Divide the dough in fifteen 20g (0.7oz) balls and place on the prepared baking sheet.
Press slightly to flatten and bake 15-20 minutes or until golden.
Ohhhh good one!!! I love Cheddar