I have just finished the last of these muffins with a mug of Masala tea. If you love cinnamon, you’ll love them. You can also serve a warm one with ice-cream as a dessert so good and easy to make.
Apple Streusel Muffins
Preparation time: 20 minutes; Baking time: 20-25 minutes; Makes: 12 medium muffins
- 250g (2 cups, 9oz) all-purpose (plain) flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon each ground cinnamon and nutmeg
- 130g (½ cup + 2 tablespoons) fine grained sugar
- 1 large apple, peeled cored and finely chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 80ml (⅓ cup, 6 tablespoons oil)
- 1 cup buttermilk
For the streusel topping
- 55g (¼ cup packed) brown sugar
- 20g (2 tablespoons) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 25g (1oz; ¼ cup) rolled oats
- 30g (1oz; 2 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- Line a 12 cup muffin pan with muffin cases. Preheat the oven to 375ºF (190ºC), ten minutes before using.
- Sift or whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar into a bowl. Stir in the apple and make a well in the centre of the flour.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil and buttermilk. Pour the egg mixture into the well and stir gently until to combine. Spoon the mixture, evenly, into the prepared muffin cases, then sprinkle with the streusel. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Set aside 5 minutes then transfer on to the cooling rack.
- To make streusel topping. combine brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and oats in a bowl. Rub in butter until it resembles a crumble mixture. Set aside.
- For cup measures: spoon the flour into the cup, heaping it up over the top, then slide a knife across the top to level off the extra. Be careful not to shake or tap the cup to settle down the flour or you will have more than you need. I use a 240ml American cup.
Points to Note:
- Please note that oven temperatures are given as a guideline only. You may need to add or reduce the suggested temperature depending on your oven. I baked the muffins at 375°F (190°C) for 25 minutes.