I used cremini mushrooms for this recipe but you can also use the white button mushrooms if you like. Make sure the rice is seasoned to perfection Have a pleasant day.
Basmati Rice with Chicken and Mushrooms
Marinade Ingredients for chicken
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoons old fashioned Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 450g (Ib) boneless chicken diced into cubes
- 2 cups basmati rice, washed and drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper or ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups water
Ingredients for the mushroom and chicken sauce
- 2-4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 227g (8oz) cremini mushrooms wiped and sliced
- 1 large onion, half moon-sliced
- ¼-½ teaspoon cayenne or black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ cup canned diced tomatoes
- ½ cup passata or crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce (US)
- 1½ cups frozen green peas
- A handful chopped parsley
- Marinate the chicken: place all marinade ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Add the diced chicken and set aside for at least 30 minutes. You can marinate up to 24 hours in the fridge.
- Stir Fry the Chicken: heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium-sized skillet. Add the chicken and all the marinade and stir fry for 6-8 minutes until all th mositure is evaporated the chicken is no longer pink and slightly golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside on a plate.
- Cook the rice: Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a wide based skillet. Add the rice and cook for 2-3 minutes over medium high heat, then add the cayenne pepper (or black pepper) and cook for another minute. Add the water and season with enough salt to taste. Bring to a rolling boil then simmer covered over low heat for 10 minutes. While rice is cooking make the sauce.
- Make the mushroom and chicken sauce: In the same skillet you stir-fried the chicken, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and add the onion and mushrooms and cook over medium high heat until all the moisture is evaporated. Add cayenne pepper and paprika and cook for one minute, then add all the tomatoes and peas and cook for 5 minutes or until piping hot. Add the set aside chicken and stir to combine. keep the sauce over a low simmer.
- Mix the rice with the sauce: after the rice has simmered for 10 minutes, remove the lid from the pot and gently stir in the prepared mushroom and chicken sauce. Cover the pot and continue to simmer over very low heat for another 10 minutes. Switch of the heat and fluff the rice. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.
Step By Step Photos
Stir fry the chicken 6-8 minutes or until cooked and no longer pink. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside to cool.
Cook the rice and simmer, covered for 10 minutes.
Make the mushroom and chicken sauce and keep over a low simmer.
Stir in the prepared mushroom and chicken sauce. Cover the pot and continue to simmer over very low heat for another 10 minutes. Switch of the heat and fluff the rice. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.