Please make sure you pour the glacé icing while it’s still hot. It will not be pourable once it cools down. I wish you a great weekend!
Maple Syrup Cake
Preparation time: 20 minutes; Baking time: 35-45 minutes; Makes: Medium bundt
- 185g (¾ cup + 1 tablespoon) margarine (or butter if you prefer)
- 150g (⅔ cup packed) brown sugar
- 80ml (⅓ cup) maple syrup
- 300g (2½ cups) all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 120ml (½ cup) milk
Ingredients for the glacé Icing
- 240g (2 cups) icing (confectioner’s) sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon very soft butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 360ºF (180ºC) ten minutes before baking. Liberally grease and flour a 8.5 inch (22 cm) bundt pan or 8-inch (20cm) round pan.
- Combine all ingredients in the bowl of your stand mixer and mix on low speed until everything is combined. Beat on medium speed for 1-1½ minutes until mixture is smooth and pale in colour.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared pan and bake 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean and the cake is slightly shrunk from the sides. Set aside for 5 minutes before transferring on a cooing rack.
- Make the glacé icing: place the butter and maple syrup in a heat proof bowl and stir in enough icing sugar to give a thick paste. Place the bowl over simmering water (double boiler, water bath) and stir until icing is glossy and pourable. Pour over the cake, immediately.
- For cup measures: spoon the flour into the cup, heaping it up over the top, then slide a knife across the top to level off the extra. Be careful not to shake or tap the cup to settle down the flour or you will have more than you need. I use a 240ml American cup.
Points to Note
- Please note that oven temperatures are given as a guideline only. You may need to add or reduce the suggested temperature depending on your oven. I baked the cake at 360ºF (180ºC) for 40 minutes.
Immediately pour the warm icing over the cake because it will stiffen as it cools down.