For the tomato, please use a good quality Italian passata (strained tomatoes). If you can’t find some then I highly recommend crushed tomatoes because they have no other ingredients other than tomato, salt and vinegar. You can also use canned tomato sauce (US). I wish you a happy cooking!!!
Creamy Tomato and Mushroom Chicken
Preparation time: 15 minutes; Cooking time: 50 minutes; Serves: 4
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8-10 thighs or drumsticks, washed, dried and dusted with seasoned flour (salt and pepper)
- 1 large onion cut in half and finely sliced
- 227g (8oz) cremini mushrooms, sliced
- ½-1 teaspoon chill flakes
- 3 fat garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 cup passata or crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup good quality chicken stock
- A few sprigs of thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ cup whipping cream (35-40%)
- A handful chopped parsley or cilantro
- Heat one tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat and brown the chicken on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan heat another 1-2 tablespoon oil (if necessary) and add the onion and mushrooms, and some salt, and cook over high heat fro 5-7 minutes or until brown. Add the chilli flakes, garlic and curry powder and cook another minute.
- Now add the passata, stock, thyme and the set aside chicken and stir to combine. Bring the stew to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer covered for 30 minutes, stirring from time to time, or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Adjust the seasoning, then add the peas and cream simmer gently, another 5 minutes. Just before serving add the chopped parsley. Serve with steamed rice or pasta or mashed potato.
Step By Step Photos
Assemble ingredients and brown the chicken, the cook the mushrooms and onions, 5-7 minutes.
Add the chilli flakes, garlic and curry powder and cook another minute.
Now add the passata, stock, thyme and the set aside chicken and stir to combine. Simmer, 30 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.
Adjust the seasoning, then add the peas and cream simmer gently, another 5 minutes. Add the chopped parsley, just before serving.