This was the best chicken we have eaten this month. The dry white wine must be added because it’s the secret ingredient. Red bell pepper is the best alternative although you can also use yellow or orange. Please buy the best Italian whole tomatoes you can find in your local store. Have a great week!
- 4 chicken legs or 8-10 chicken drumsticks or thighs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour for dredging the chicken
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper julienned
- 227g (8oz) cremini mushrooms, sliced
- ½ teaspoon cayenne or black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 medium carrot diced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- 1 x 28oz (796ml) can whole tomatoes, chopped or roughly blended
- ½-¾ cup chicken broth (stock)
- A handful chopped basil or parsley leaves
- Season the chicken with salt and freshly ground pepper and coat them in the flour. Shake off excess.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large heavy based skillet and brown the chicken pieces on all sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add 1-2 tablespoons olive oil and sauté the onion, bell pepper, mushrooms over medium high heat for 4-6 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cayenne, carrot and oregano and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the wine, stir and simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, ½ cup chicken broth, and set aside chicken. Stir to combine and bring to the boil and simmer, covered, 25-30 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked. Make sure you flip over the chicken at least once.
- Sprinkle the basil or parsley leaves and serve the chicken.
- Ideally the chicken should be served, then the sauce is reduced by rapid boiling and then poured over the chicken. I like more sauce so I did not do the reduction process. Suit your palate!!!
Step By Step Photos
Prepare the veggies. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, then dredge with all purpose and brown on all sides and set aside.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil and cook onion, bell pepper and mushrooms, 4-6 minutes, then add cayenne, garlic, carrot and oregano and cook for 2 minutes.
Add the wine and simmer 5 minutes, uncovered, then add the tomatoes, chicken broth and set aside chicken. Bring to the boil and simmer 25-30 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked. Sprinkle with basil or parsley before serving.