This chicken curry recipe is simple and straightforward. Please adjust the chilli pepper to suit your palate and buy good quality canned tomatoes. You can also use 3 large fresh tomatoes, finely chopped. Have a pleasant week.
Chicken Curry with Coconut Milk
Preparation time: 30 minutes; Cooking time: 40 minutes; Serves: 4
- 1kg bone-in-skinless chicken thighs or drumsticks (8-10 pieces)
- 3-4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 Jalapeño pepper, finely chopped (optional)
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2-inch root ginger finely grated
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup passata or crushed tomatoes or canned tomato sauce (US)
- ½ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 400ml (14oz) canned coconut
- ½ cup chicken stock
- Salt to taste
- A handful coriander or parsley leaves chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼-½ teaspoon chilli powder (adjust to suit your palate)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons yoghurt
- Marinate the chicken pieces: place the marinade ingredients in the middle of the large bowl and stir them together using a spoon. Add the chicken pieces and using your hands, rub in the marinade on each chicken piece then cover the bowl and set aside for at least one hour or overnight in the fridge.
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan and add the garam masala. Cook for 30 seconds, then add the onions, jalapeño and ½ teaspoon salt and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes until soft. Add the ginger and garlic and cook one minute.
- Add all the tomatoes and chilli flakes and cook covered, stirring from time to time, for about 10 minutes or until the moisture evaporates and the oil begins to separate.
- Add the marinated chicken (with the marinade) and stir to combine with the sauce, then add the coconut milk and stock and bring to the boil and simmer until chicken is cooked. Switch off heat and add coriander leaves. Adjust seasoning and serve.
Step By Step Photos
Marinate the chicken the and prepare all ingredients
Cook the garam masala, 30 seconds, then add the onion and jalapeño and cook five minutes. A
Add the garlic and ginger and cook one minute. Add all the tomatoes and chilli flakes.
Cover and simmer until the moisture evaporates and the oil begins to separate. Add the marinated chicken
And the coconut milk and stock (broth) then bring to the boil and simmer until chicken is fully cooked. Stir in the coriander leaves and adjust seasoning.
Yum! Great post 🙂