I usually cook a lot of barley and navy beans in advance and keep it in the fridge. I love using both for making salads. The beans provide the protein base and the barley, the carbohydrate base. You can add whatever veggies pleases you. I wish you a pleasant week!
Barley Tomato and Navy Bean Salad
- 2 cups cooked barley
- 1 cup cooked navy beans
- 1 cup (125g, 4oz) sliced cherry tomatoes
- A handful cilantro or parsley finely chopped
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Fresh lemon juice
- Salt and white ground pepper to taste
- To make dressing: mix all dressing ingredients and add enough salt and pepper to taste. Shake thoroughly to combine.
- Mix all salad ingredients in a bowl. Pour dressing over and toss to combine. Set aside at least 30 minutes for flavours to meld before serving.
- Here are instructions to cook Pearl Barley. 1 cup yields four cups cooked barley.
Step by Step Photos
Mix all salad ingredients in a bowl.
Pour dressing over
Toss to combine. Give the salad a grinding of salt and pepper. Then taste and adjust seasoning. Set aside at least 30 minutes for flavours to meld before serving