Lemon Coconut Muffins
Preparation time: 10 minutes; Baking time: 20-25 minutes; Makes: 16 medium or 14 large muffins
- 250g (2 cups, 9oz) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 50g (½ cup) desiccated coconut
- 200g (1 cup) sugar
- 60g (¼ cup, 4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 60g (¼ cup) good quality coconut oil
- Zest of one large lemon
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Sift or whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in the coconut and set aside. Line two 12-hole muffin pans with paper cases. Preheat the oven to 360ºF (180ºC) convection or 375ºF (190ºC) regular oven, ten minutes before using.
- Beat the butter, coconut oil, lemon zest and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until just combined. Fold in the buttermilk and flour in two batches.
- Spoon the batter equally into the prepared muffin tins. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- For cup measures: spoon the flour into the cup, heaping it up over the top, then slide a knife across the top to level off the extra. Be careful not to shake or tap the cup to settle down the flour or you will have more than you need. I use a 240ml, American cup.
Points to Note
- Please note that oven temperatures are given as a guideline only. You may need to add or reduce the suggested temperature depending on your oven. I baked muffins 360ºF (180ºC), convection for 23 minutes.