Don’t you love the combination of ginger and dates? If you can find ripe and mushy dried dates that would be great. Have a great week!
Gingerbread Date Muffins
Preparation time: 20 minutes; Baking time: 15-20 minutes Makes: 12 large muffins
- 225g (8oz, 2 cups minus 1 tablespoon) all-purpose (plain) flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 100g (3oz) dates finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Cointreau or other liqueur
- 50g (2oz, ¼cup packed) soft brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- 8 tablespoons golden or light corn syrup
- 125g (½ cup +1 tbsp; 1 stick +1 tbsp, 4.5oz) butter or margarine
- 175ml (¾ cup) milk
- I egg
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) ten minutes before using. Line 2 x 12 hole medium, muffin tins (pan) with 12 large cases.
- Sift the flour and ginger into a bowl, stir in the dates and sugar, make a well in the centre.
- Place the syrup and margarine in a heavy based pan over low heat and melt them together gently. Remove as soon as melted-do not boil.
- Warm the milk to tepid (in a microwave), stir in the baking soda (bicarbonate of soda). Mix the milk with the golden syrup-margarine mixture and the egg and whisk together. Pour this mixture into the well of dry ingredients and beat with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the muffin cases and bake 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the muffins, comes out clean. Leave to stand for 5 minutes, then transfer onto wire rack to cool.
- For cup measures: spoon the flour into the cup, heaping it up over the top, then slide a knife across the top to level off the extra. Be careful not to shake or tap the cup to settle down the flour or you will have more than you need. I use a 240ml American cup.
Points to note:
- Please note that oven temperatures are given as a guideline only. You may need to add or reduce the suggested temperature depending on your oven. I baked the muffins at 375°F (190°C) for 20 minutes..
- The mixture is very runny, but don’t worry.
- Keep the muffins in an airtight container for 3 days.