I was in a hurry and I had some chicken in the fridge so I googled around and came across this simple recipe by Chef VahRehVah and made it. It was really good. You can use store-bought curry powder or make your own. I used store-bought. ENJOY the week!
Cook onions until light golden. Cook tomatoes until mushed up then add the curry powder.
Cook 9-10 minutes until the oil separates, then add the chicken. Simmer, covered, 10 minutes then add the stock.
Please watch the video before making. I love this recipe because it’s super easy!
Creamy Chicken Curry
Preparation time: 15 minutes; Cooking time: 45 minutes;
- 2-4 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil (I use canola)
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- ½-1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes (adjust pepper to suit your palate)
- 3 fat clove garlics crushed
- 1-inch fresh ginger finely grated
- 2 large tomatoes finely chopped (450g; 1Ib; 2 cups chopped), you can use a chopper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into cubes or 10 drumsticks or 10 thighs
- Potatoes cut into 2 inch cubes (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 1½-2 cups stock (broth) or water
- ¼ cup 35% cream
- A handful chopped cilantro
- If you’re using chicken drumsticks or thighs, coat them in flour, salt and freshly ground pepper then heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large based saucepan and brown them on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in the same sauce pan and add the onions, chilli flakes and a little salt. Cook stirring from time to time, over medium heat, until light golden in colour.
- Now, add the garlic and ginger and cook for about 1 minute, then add the finely chopped tomatoes and tomato paste and cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat, until tomatoes are completely mushed up.
- Add the curry powder and cook stirring frequently, over medium-low heat, until the oil separates from the sauce. This will take about 9-10 minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces or drums or thighs, salt to taste, (and potatoes if using) and stir to mix. then cover and let simmer about 10 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Add the stock, bring to the boil and simmer another 10-15 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked. Stir in the cream, garnish with cilantro and serve.
Points to Note
- I always add potatoes or carrots to my curries, but this is optional.
- 1 medium drumstick weighs about 100g (3.5oz) so ten are about 1Kg (1.2Ib); one good sized boneless, skinless chicken breast weighs about 150g (5oz).
- (If using drumsticks or thighs, you may want to brown them in a little oil, on all sides before cooking. This is optional, but I find it works better).
- Last Updated: December 16, 2018.