I discovered that lentil salads are best left in the fridge for at least 24 hours after adding the dressing. This allows the flavours to soak into the lentils and potatoes. Remove and bring to room temperature or warm very briefly in the microwave before eating. ENJOY!
Here is whole brown lentils (masoor dal) after and before cooking. These are the best for salad. It’s always better to buy them dry and boil them yourself. It only takes 15-18 minutes to cook, after soaking.
Add the lentils, the charred pepper and the chorizo back to the pan, and toss for two minutes until the lentils are heated through. Remove from the heat, add the parsley and drizzle the dressing over and serve warm or cold.
Chorizo-flavoured Lentil and Potato Salad
Preparation time: 10 minutes; Cooking time: 30 minutes; Serves: 2 (2 cups)
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup bell pepper cut into short strips
- ¼ cup finely chopped chorizo
- ½ cup diced potato
- 1 cup cooked lentil
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 oz (25g) Feta, crumbled
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Start by heating 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat and cook the bell pepper until charred, 6-8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Next reduce heat and add the diced chorizo to the same pan and cook one to two minutes until they render some fat. Remove the chorizo and set aside.
- Now add the potatoes to the same pan and cook covered, over medium heat for about 15 minutes, stirring from time to time until golden and cooked through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Now add the lentils, the charred pepper and the chorizo back to the pan, and toss for two minutes until the lentils are heated through. Remove from the heat, add the parsley and drizzle the dressing over and serve warm or cold.
- To make dressing: place everything in a small bowl and whisk until well blended. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.