This pasta was so delicious I couldn’t believe I was just eating tomatoes, peppers, pasta and cheese, If you’re a die hard carnivore you can add some chicken, sausage or whatever pleases you. I love it just the way it is. ENJOY!
Pasta with Roasted Pepper and Cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, crushed
- ½-1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- ¼ cup finely diced sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 3 medium roasted pepper, finely diced (1 cup heaped when diced)
- ½ content of 796ml (28fl oz) can whole tomatoes, crushed into pulp using fingers
- 3 sprigs thyme, leaves removed and set aside
- ¾ cup stock (broth) or water and bouillon cube
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼-½ cup 35% cream (optional)
- 400g (14oz) short pasta (I used conchiglie)
- 2-3 cups grated cheese (mozzarella & cheddar or Monterey Jack & Mozzarella)
- Generously oil a 13 x 9 inch (23 x 33 cm) oven proof dish on the base and sides. Heat the oven to 425ºF (220ºC) ten minutes before using.
- Roast the peppers: you can do this one or two days in advance. Cut peppers in half lengthwise and remove the stems, seeds and ribs. Place the pepper halves on a broiler pan or cookie sheet lined with aluminium, cut side down, and broil (grill) 5-6 inches from the heat until the skins are evenly charred.Transfer the peppers to a plastic bag, or airtight container or wrap the peppers tightly with the aluminium foil and let stand about 10 minutes until soft .Using a small knife, peel off the skins.
- Make the sauce: Heat the olive oil over medium low heat and sauté the onions, garlic, chilli flakes and sun-dried tomatoes for 5 minutes, then add the roasted pepper and cook for 2 minutes over medium high heat. Add the tomatoes and stock (broth) or water and bouillon cube and bring to the boil and simmer covered for 15 minutes. Switch off the heat and add the thyme leaves, Parmesan and cream (if using). Stir to combine then cover the pot and set aside.
- Boil the pasta in plenty of salted water as per package instructions for ¾ the stated maximum time. Drain.
- Toss everything and Bake: Toss the pasta together with the sauce and pour into the oven proof dish and sprinkle the cheese on top. Bake 15-20 minutes on the top shelf until bubbly and slightly browned. Let rest 5-10 minutes then serve.
- Last Updated: January 15, 2019
Step By Step Photos
Roast the peppers then make the sauce. Heat the olive oil over medium low heat and sauté the onions, garlic, chilli flakes and sun-dried tomatoes 5 minutes,
then add the roasted pepper and cook for 2 minutes over medium high heat. Now, add the tomatoes and stock (broth) or water and bouillon cube and bring to the boil and simmer covered for 15minutes. Switch off the heat, add the Parmesan and thyme leaves, and stir to combine.
Boil the pasta, drain and toss with the sauce. Transfer to the oven proof dish and top with the grated cheese and bake 15-20 minutes, until bubbly. ENJOY!