Dates and poppy seed are a great combination. We really enjoyed eating these muffins. Have a pleasant mid-week!
This what the batter looks like
Spoon the batter equally into the prepared muffin tins.
Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Date and Poppy Seed Muffins
Preparation time: 10 minutes; Baking time: 25-30 Makes: 16 medium or 14 large muffins
- 250g (2 cups, 9oz) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 200g (1 cup) sugar
- 60g (¼ cup, 4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 60g (¼ cup, 4 tablespoons) good quality coconut oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ cups chopped dates soaked in 4 tablespoons boiling water for 30 minutes
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Sift or whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and poppy seeds. Line two 12-hole muffin pans with paper cases. Preheat the oven to 360ºF (180ºC) convection; 375ºF (190ºC) regular, ten minutes before using.
- Beat the butter, coconut oil and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until just combined. Fold in the buttermilk and flour in two batches. Stir in the dates.
- Spoon the batter equally into the prepared muffin tins. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- For cup measures: spoon the flour into the cup, heaping it up over the top, then slide a knife across the top to level off the extra. Be careful not to shake or tap the cup to settle down the flour or you will have more than you need. I use a 240ml, American cup.
Points to Note
- Please note that oven temperatures are given as a guideline only. You may need to add or reduce the suggested temperature depending on your oven. I baked extra large 12 large muffins at 360ºF (180ºC), convection for 28 minutes.